GCE Sunday Afternoon Report & Ballot Results
May 2, 2010
The Sunday afternoon session of the General Conference of Elders began at 2:05 p.m. Here is a synopsis of the agenda items and what took place:
- Roy Holladay, interim president and GCE chairman, spoke for 40 minutes about prioritizing the work and the responsibility we face to make disciples of Christ and preach the gospel to all the world. He also gave more background about the recent administrative changes at the home office. Mr. Holladay continued with the promise that God will never leave us or forsake us, and that as we seek the will of the Father we will be blessed. It is the power of God that will accomplish all things.
- Jason Lovelady, Church Treasurer and operation manager for Financial Services, spent 20 minutes discussing the financial status of our organization. Our fixed costs, legacy costs and increasing insurance claims are a continual challenge to manage. This will be the first year in over a decade that we expect a decrease in income over the previous year.
- Dennis Luker represented Ministerial Services in an inspiring update about the work of God’s ministry. He expounded upon three of the biggest lessons he has learned from being in the ministry for 47 years: 1) Praying for the love of God, 2) To cherish his wife and highly value her contribution, and 3) To trust Jesus Christ as the head of His Church.
- Peter Eddington, interim operation manager for Media and Communications Services, showed some of the latest accomplishments of the Church’s media department. These included our most recent foray into broadcast television on five U.S. TV stations, what UCG is doing to make the most of Social Media opportunities (including Facebook, Twitter, blogging and YouTube), and finished with some of the more prominent challenges we face in our effort to preach the good news of God’s Kingdom in all the world.
Finally, the ballot results were announced by GCE Secretary David Johnson as follows:
- Counselors elected to three-year terms: BOB BERENDT, MIKE BLACKWELL, MARIO SEIGLIE, DAVID TREYBIG
- Confirmation of Jim Franks for remainder of Council term ending in 2012: YES
- Confirmation of David Baker for remainder of Council term ending in 2011: YES
- Ratify 2010-2011 Strategic Plan: YES
- Ratify 2010-2011 Operation Plan: YES
- Ratify 2010-2011 Budget: YES
- Amend Bylaw 7.5.3: NO
- Amend Bylaw 8.6.2: NO
- Amend Bylaw 12.2.2: YES
The 2010 annual meeting of the General Conference of Elders was adjourned by the Secretary at 4:10 p.m. The next item on the weekend agenda is a question and answer session with the Council of Elders and operation managers.
Media and Communications Services